Top Gear Versus Fifth Gear: Which British Car Show Is Better?

by Ed Lau on April 9, 2007

I thought I would take a moment today to answer the question that really is on the minds of everyone across the nation: which British car show is better? By now, everyone probably knows that I’m a huge fan of BBC’s Top Gear but I also watch Channel Five’s Fifth Gear…usually when TG is off the air, which seems to be more often than not in recent years because of Clarkson’s bad back and Richard Hammond crashing at almost 300MPH. It’s not that I don’t like Fifth Gear because I do but I simply prefer Top Gear. Every car enthusiast watches one of the two or both. There are those that believe Fifth Gear is the superior show in many ways so I thought I would look closer at both and give everyone an in-depth breakdown. We’ll split up the categories into two…categories: production (the show itself) and presenters (the hosts).

1. Production – Location: Top Gear is filmed at Dunsfold Park, an old airfield that has been converted into a racing circuit and the news/random rambling segments are held in a converted aircraft hanger. I don’t know about you but I think that’s just absolutely perfect. It’s a setting synonymous with speed and while it does look like a bit of a sparse soundstage at times, the hangar is well decorated with Top Gear historic memorabilia such as the indestructible Toyota truck. A couple seasons ago, Fifth Gear adjusted their format a bit to compete with Top Gear since the inane conversations between the hosts make them incredibly popular. Most recently, they have moved their home-based to a cafe on a race track. They’re both very cool locations since the Fifth Gear set is very homey and colorful while the Top Gear hangar just has all kinds of awesome stuff lying around. Unfortunately, Top Gear will not be back at Dunsfold Park next year as their lease is up but it is quite exciting to see a whole new set. Verdict: Tie

2. Production – Segments: Fifth Gear is a much more grounded show, with fewer supercars and more sensible econoboxes. What they don’t have is a Bugatti Veyron racing a plane from Italy to London or idiots seeing if they can buy a car for less than a 100 quid. This isn’t to say that Fifth Gear doesn’t have interesting films. Oh, by no means since I found stuff like the visit to the Maybach dealership and the world’s most expensive car wash interesting but they don’t feel epic in scale like the films on Top Gear, which most recently threw the three hosts into downtown Miami, told them to buy cars for $1000 and then complete a series of challenges while they drive from Miami to New Orleans. Both shows have a good deal of celebrities but Top Gear attracts more star power with their weekly Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment. Verdict: Top Gear.

3. Production – Information: With that being said, Fifth Gear, being the more sensible show, does provide more useful information, especially for living in Europe. They review more cheap cars and film more segments with actual news. Top Gear on the other hand, answers questions such as how many bouncy castles you can jump in an ice cream van. No, I’m serious. Verdict: Fifth Gear

4. Production – Film Style: While both shows use fancy filters and such to emphasize the cars, Top Gear obviously has a higher budget and a better film crew. The photography on the show is often absolutely stunning, especially on their cross-continent races. Oh, and the camera keeps moving around during Fifth Gear‘s news segments which is really annoying. Verdict: Top Gear.

5. Production – Entertainment: The first thing you’ll notice about Fifth Gear when you watch is that it seems so much more stiff and scripted. While there are some genuinely exciting and funny moments, they are few and far between compared to Top Gear, which is about entertainment first, information second. Top Gear is easily one of the most entertaining hours of television you can find today. Everything is far more ridiculous and there’s just a sense of grandure to the whole thing. Verdict: Top Gear.

6. Presenters – Charisma: Fifth Gear just isn’t funny, which is a shame because the British have a fantastic, ironic sense of humor, something that Top Gear takes full advantage of. Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have a great chemistry, like three regular guys talking cars. Their personalities off-set each other well with May being sensible and old-fashioned, Clarkson being obsessed with power and…kind of an idiot and Hammond as a sort of everyman that most young people can identify with compared to the two oldies. While Tiff Needell is definitely a cool guy and Vicki Butler-Henderson…well, it’s hot when a girl can powerslide better than me…they don’t have the same appeal as the hosts of Top Gear. Everyone else on Fifth Gear is kind of like a pylon, especially the new guy: Tim Lovejoy, who is just plain boring. Oh…and Top Gear has a cute dog…named Top Gear Dog. Verdict: Top Gear…by a lot.

7. Presenters – Credibility: No one on either show is really an expert when it comes to cars. Most of them are journalists with a great love for cars but that’s like me saying I have a great love for surgery. You wouldn’t really want me to give you a new heart valve. However, Tiff and Vicki were once professional racers which gives them the slight edge, especially since Clarkson usually just gives his incredibly biased opinions on everything anyways. He’s got star power going for him but I think most people would rather have Tiff’s opinion. Verdict: Fifth Gear.

8. Presenters – Driving Skill: Again, Tiff and Vicki were pros and drive better than Clarkson. James May is nicknamed Captain Slow (although he has shown an affinity for speed at appropriate times such as maxing out the Bugatti Veyron) and Richard Hammond isn’t spectacular either, although he is above average. Jason Plato, who was a presenter on Fifth Gear until last season was also once a pro racing driver. The only person with possible racing credentials on Top Gear is The Stig but since we don’t know who he is or if he is just one person (he might even be Tiff…), we can’t seriously factor that in. Verdict: Fifth Gear.

The tally gives Top Gear a 4-3-1 edge over their Channel Five rival but personally, the race wasn’t that close. As with everything, there are intangibles involved. Fifth Gear is wildly inconsistent with their programming as one episode might be good but two others might be snorefests. There are entire segments of Fifth Gear that you just don’t want to watch while the boys of Top Gear can make paving a road entertaining (which they do in the season premier for season 9). There’s rarely a dull moment on the BBC show. Top Gear is also much more…believable. While the show is probably scripted, you never think it is since Clarkson, May and Hammond have such a great rhythm and they have a serious passion for cars. I have no doubt that Tiff loves driving and Vicki giggles affectionately every time she finds a great car but they don’t convey it as well.

So say what you want about how they promote irresponsible driving or hurt the environment by running over moss or melting polar bears but as a television show, Top Gear wins by a mile. And on that bombshell, it’s time to end. We’ll be back tomorrow.

in Cars,Entertainment

{ 154 comments… read them below or add one }

derrich April 9, 2007 at 11:38 pm

I frikken love Top Gear!

Saman Sadeghi April 16, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I live in the States and I love Top Gear!!! I have never heard of Fifth Gear though…

Derrich October 10, 2007 at 7:16 am

I thought you were the king of the Interweb, Saman.

Danny Dang April 10, 2007 at 10:33 am

I find Top Gear so much more entertaining than Fifth Gear. I was pretty disappointed with this season except for the Miami Road trip\Challenges.

Saman Sadeghi April 16, 2007 at 2:37 pm

I loved the Alabama/Red Neck episode!

Thor Schrock April 14, 2007 at 2:33 pm

That guy’s face was priceless. How fast was he going to get an expression like that? could you imagine what would happen if a fly found its way into his path?

Benjamin April 20, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Top Gear has got to be one of the best shows ever made. That’s coming from an American who is bombarded with TV shows with million+ dollar budgets, most of which are not in the least bit entertaining.. Clarkson, May, and Hammond have perfect chemistry and they find a way to make nearly everything funning and entertaining. One of the most remarkable things about Top Gear is the production quality of the show. Most of the reviews are simply amazing and oftentimes breathtaking. All-in-all the show has everything from humor to celebrities to speed. I only hope they continue to make them.

FYI…I also watch Fifth Gear but only when Top Gear is on break or I am really bored.

Ed Lau April 21, 2007 at 1:13 am

Absolutely, the directors/producers on Top Gear are top notch. The use of filters and mix of film speeds give the show its signature look.

media1602@mac.com July 30, 2007 at 8:26 am

Article said, “especially since Clarkson usually just gives his incredibly biased opinions on everything anyways.”

I agree with this, and this statement (being true) is enough to make me like Fifth Gear much, much more. However, I’m not only watching the show to be entertained; I want to learn about how the cars actually are. An “incredibly biased opinion won’t tell me much about how the cars actually are — the show only tells us what not to buy for Clarkson should any of us want to buy him a car. LOL!

That Vicki Butler-Henderson on Fifth Gear is a hoot and I enjoy seeing her track drive various things from Miatas to the 18-wheeler truck. I’ve enjoyed seeing Clarkson do the show from time to time, but he’s too over-the-top for me and I think he comes off as a jackass quite often. In contrast, I think Vicki comes across as more genuine and fair, she has a great TV personality, and she’s a whole lot better to look at than windbag Clarkson. But to each their own. Fifth Gear is the much better show.

Pete Edwards August 21, 2007 at 3:38 pm

You are incorrect about where Fifth Gear is shot.

It is not as you state “a cafe on a race track”, rather the Ace Cafe, situated on the North Circular ring road, which is definantly not, in any way a race track (you can try, but the Met Police don’t take kindly to it!)

Its quite historic, as it was a popular meeting place for Rockers in the 60′s

so now you know
Pete

Ed Lau August 21, 2007 at 5:03 pm

My mistake. I thought “North Circular Ring Road” was some kind of track when VBH mentioned it on the show.

AMANDA September 17, 2007 at 7:23 pm

What kind of dog is Top Gear dog?

Ed Lau September 17, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Top Gear Dog is a Labradoodle (Labrador + Poodle mix).

tom October 10, 2007 at 2:08 am

what if people dont like labradors or poodles

Ed Lau October 10, 2007 at 3:56 am

…then you don’t…have to get a Top Gear Dog…

Derrich October 10, 2007 at 7:17 am

Well played, Ed.

Joe October 18, 2007 at 7:47 pm

I believe that this review is weak and has multiple errors.

I watch both shows here in the States and though I appreciate them both, I find that Fifth Gear comes out on top. For simple entertainment and oft than not sophomoric humor Top Gear wins hands down. However, with that humor comes the often grating nature of Jeremy Clarkeson, who despite being a dyed in the wool long time car nut and car journalist makes watching Top Gear painful when he is in a bad mood or doesn’t want to go along with the producers instructions. Top Gear is entertaining but to be more exact, it is entertaining for those who know little about cars and whose interest lies mainly in the spectacle of the hijinx.

It was misstated in the review that only Tiff Needel and Vicky Butler Henderson having racing credentials. To clear this up I will go through in order. More information regarding this can be found on Wikipedia and on the Fifth Gear website. Tiff Needel started in motor racing working his way all the way to Formula 1 in 1979 in which he drove two races. Vicky comes from a family of racing drivers going back two generations which takes you to the very beginning of motor racing. Vicky started racing at the age of 12 and at some point moved into instruction and then into journalism. Jason Plato, Tiff’s younger mirror, is currently a racing driver in the BTCC championship, which he entered in 1997. He won the championship in 2001 and is poised to win it again this year.

Since the removal of Tom Lovejoy, Fifth Gear has improved markedly. The addition of Johnny Smith means that there are twice as many excellent “normal” car reviewers available to Fifth Gear. It shows too. Tom Ford and Johnny Smith manage to make even the most mundane machines interesting but without pulling any punches.

The irony of the situation is that this rivalry is the product of Channel Five closing down the earlier Top Gear program that had combined mainstays of Tiff, Clarkeson, and VBH. Overall, this rivalry is for all our benefit. Those who feed on primarily thrill and base humor get to enjoy Top Gear. Those who actually enjoy driving and the technical side of cars (or are just a little more mature) can take both at the right time. Another benefit of this matter is that those who really enjoy cars have an opportunity to see more of them reviewed. Though the major headlines are covered on both shows, the difference in the more mundane releases allows those who don’t necessarily have the time to keep up on all the industry news, a glimpse at more than the super cars.

Marauder October 23, 2007 at 2:01 pm

I live in the States have a plethora of lame shows but Top Gear provides what many shows of their kind lack and much more; humor, sarcasm, SUPERCARS, excellent reviews, crazy match-ups (Veyron vs. Plane anyone?) and lively interviews. Motor Trend along with C&D have some of the driest shows to speak of, not to mention those rednecks over at 4X4 of Off-Roading. Keep on Rocking TOP GEAR!!! Can’t wait for the new set!

Fifth Gear is decent, but if one host isn’t too busy chuckling all the time, the other is putting me to sleep with his monotone voice.

Moh November 24, 2007 at 8:11 am

Top Gear is in another Class compared to 5th gear, if 5th gear and top gear were cars in a race, top gear would be miles ahead, just by using the biting point, 5th gear doesnt even stand a chance

Colin December 3, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Top Gear is the best show ever, they show many different kinds of cars, and have fun doing so. I love the show, as with my Mother whom hates everything on TV. Check out some of the bloopers on utube – bloody classic!

Moh December 4, 2007 at 10:43 am

yeh thanx fo da info..il chek those blooper out..by the way did you watch the africa special…thats what i call a CLASSIC episode, ima put that one on dvd..it too funny

poi December 11, 2007 at 7:57 pm

hmmm top gear the best….recent episode take the presenters compete for 24 hours endurance same like le mans….even stig join them…and we as viewers can feel the tension and joy of the race…..way to go top gear….

David Stephen January 24, 2008 at 6:30 pm

I think both shows deserve a watch,and Vicki is so damn sexy!

Julia February 2, 2008 at 7:12 am

I love top gear dog he is so cute! and i love top gear because it is the best program ever ever ever!!!

Ed Lau February 2, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Top Gear Dog is a girl, actually. =)

John February 4, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I’ve recently compared Top Gear and Fifth Gear, to be honest, I fell asleep when I watched Fifth?! Technical aside, it lacks of humors and Clarkson’s ‘biased’ and ‘sarcastic’ opinion on certain cars that he never like, IS THE ENTERTAINMENT. I don’t care if Fifth Gear hosts by Lewis Hamilton, Dale Earnheart Jr and Tommi Makkinen, since i’m looking for entertainment… not for watching a Concept Jaguar or Aston Martin DB9 driven by a sleek sexy fox, who’s a former racer, which I would never have one of those cars as long as i live. For watching Top Gear, I don’t give a slight mind about buying the car at all.
And as a media person, I loveeeeee the way the show being served, the camera work, the editing, the soundtrack, Top Gear is a pinnacle of top-form media entertainment, not just a car review program.

Dominic February 8, 2008 at 8:11 am

I agree with John previously, Fifth Gear’s presenters skill on driving cars, are not actually the one that we’re looking for. The blokes from Top Gear, on the other hand, actually represent the common marketing target for Brit’s consumers. Jeremy, to be very obvious, represent those rich people who actually gonna BUY those supercars, while Hamster, transmits the need of the youngsters for transportation, well sometimes he drives supercars, but then May, well, Captain Slow is a guide for oldies out there……

Roy April 1, 2008 at 2:34 pm

you are right…. Top gear is just an awsome show…i mean car fans loves it…but if other people watch it… they will still like it…not so much with fifth gear tho… in short…. just like the word of Jeremy…(in the show where they do the new 911 turbo)….i respect fifth gear…but my heart is with Top gear…..

monkey April 2, 2008 at 1:14 pm

top gear, just for lol’s ……………….. i love the stig!!!!!

death to fifth gear

thrifty April 15, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Who is fifth gear. How can you compare the coolest car show on tv to a no name show.

monkey May 15, 2008 at 11:43 am

Since fifth gear is the most intolerable to loathsome shite I have ever seen aired on national television… I’d say top gear is most definitely the greatest thing ever aired

maximilian June 21, 2008 at 8:48 am

i thinki that topgear is the best show fith gear is just not funny i does not5 have the same4 as top gear and the stig can beat any fith gear person

Tafadzwa August 21, 2008 at 12:31 am

I love fifth gear, man Tiff is the best. top gear sucks……….

you don't need to know September 5, 2008 at 9:51 am

top gear is just to good. no matter what fifth gear do to change my mind. top gear is amazing
and tiff is not the best the stig is the best driver

abbie September 9, 2008 at 11:00 am

I watched fifth gear once to see what it was like and i fell asleep i got so bored, theres no way anyone can say that fifth gears presenters are better than Top Gears presenters i mean Top Gear have got Richard Hammond (Hamster!), James May (Captain Slow!), Jeremy Clarkson (Jezza!), The Stig (Stigy!) and Top Gear Dog (TG! And TG is a girl!) are just so much funnyer and entertaining than the lot on fifth gear. For me theres no contest… Top Gear is better by miles, fifth gear is just lacking EVERYTHING Top Gears got.

I say… Death to fifth gear!!
TOP GEAR RULES!
XD

Corfe October 1, 2008 at 10:35 am

I am an African and watch both shows on DSTV either in Zimbabwe or the DRC. Fifth gear is absolutley NO MATCH to Top Gear. I’d watch Top Gear for the whole day- Even if its repeat series (Which they often do on British Knowledge), but I can hardly stand the double bill 5th Gear shows.Clarkson is a champ- So is James and hamster.

Top gear is informative, has a unique touch of comedy and is presented by three guys who have a true passion for cars..

Compare 5th gear with some other show- NOT Top Gear!! Pu-leez!!

Ah By the way- Not to forget the unforgettable articles that Jeremy writes…

maddy October 22, 2008 at 7:51 am

@Tafadzwa:
what the hell is wrong wit u bitch!
Fifth Gear is CRAP!!!!!!
hav u eva actually seen an episode of top gear?
u cant hav down or u would hav ditched fifth gear by now!

kassman17 October 23, 2008 at 5:16 am

I’m in the UK and i absolutely love watching Top Gear & quite frankly not many things please me more than to watch Jason Plato, Tiff Needell or Vicki Butler-Henderson thrash a fast car around a race track in 5th Gear, but for pure entertainment value, Top Gear is definitely best, by far!!! For anyone who doesn’t know, 5th Gear was created as a result of the BBC (its the BBC who created Top Gear since its conception around 1977 NOT channel five as “joe” has written on this page) having a “heart to heart” about whether they would continue TG further (dont know the details) and its presenters Tiff and VBH (amongst others) were former TG presenters who were lured away from the beeb (BBC) to another channel (five) because it took too long for them to make a decision.
Also, what you see of 5th Gear is the format that was used for TG for 20-25 odd years before it was revamped to its current look. Therefore, because 5th gear is stuck in the past, it wont ever match up to TG until they choose to change to a more entertaining format. Not many of 5th Gear segments is geared towards entertaining tv, unlike TG who regularly do this – i’m sure i dont have to mention all their racing across europe “stunts” and one-off specials like florida & africa or toyota aygo football (soccer for our american audience) and findng the best driving road in the world to name but a very few.

So, for anyone, ANYONE, to be so deluded as to say 5th gear is MORE entertaining they must be pretty oblivious to the definition of entertaining tv. 5th Gear has more skilled drivers in Tiff, Jason and vbh no doubt (not the most skilled, only Tiff can match up to The Stig IMHO and no one else that i’ve seen on tv is as good as either of these two) and its definitely more informative on a practical, day-to-day level about the cars tested, and truly excels at this, but if i want to watch the best drivers, i would watch (and i do watch) F1, the BTCC, the WRC championships and the like and if i needed to know ALL the facts about a car i would buy the brochure with all the pretty pictures. never before have i EVER watched another show whilst a new episode of top gear was on ever since i started to watch it, it is my favourite tv show bar none. i definitely cannot say the same about 5th Gear – many a wildlife show (dont judge me. lol) or factual documentary has easily got my attention.
TG is hands down one of the bbc’s, and british television’s, best best shows year in, year out with an average of 6million people tuning in in this last series for every show (thats around 10% of the uk populati0n by the way). its also one of britains greatest tv exports to the world behind The Premiership (thats our part of our football league btw).

yes, i absolutely love watching 5th gear without a shadow of a doubt (mainly plato, needell and vbh) but put it this way, if i had to choose to either be “informed” about cars for 45 mins by 5th gear or be entertained, without fail, by the spectacle that is TOP Gear for an hour every week of every year well,……………there is NO question and NO contest as to what i, or anyone with red blood in their veins, a tv in their home and a love for car shows obviously, would choose – TOP GEAR each and every single time.

And on that truthful, absolutely unbiased, factual AND opinionated bombshell, its time to end the show. See you next week, goodbye.

hanae November 4, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Top Gear FTW.

ru40342 November 9, 2008 at 8:11 pm

5th gear is nowhere near top gear. I mean we all watch the show for entertainment. Sure we want to learn about cars but how many cars can we buy? If we only can buy 2-3 cars then we won’t choose them by watching every episode of motor show forever, will we?

So in general both are tv programme and both are here to entertain us and for that reason, 5th gear feels like stupid car documentary for people above 50 years old and top gear is for everyone else.

Tafadzwa November 10, 2008 at 5:18 am

Top Gear Sux!!

lkRaven November 15, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Hmmm i pretty late to this discussion :D , any way i have watched both shows and its like you can’t directly compare both shows. Top gear is more of an entertainment program rather than a factual program intent on giving the viewers tips on buying cars.

Fifth gear shows you lot of good car deals, reviews more cars and actually gives practical information that would help a car owner. However most of these information is only valid within UK, therefore people like me don’t have much use of them. On the other hand top gear gives far more good entertainment and puts a very very big smile on my face compared to 5th Gear.

In terms of presentation top gear has better quality and even the hosts are suited for the job at hand. Although they may not be driving or motoring experts they are ideal for the job of motoring entertainment. 5th gear also has well suited hosts to meet their focus on giving tips and reviewing cars.

The fact that top gear is more popular is because it is not only aimed at an UK audience. Its more entertaining and gives more generalized information rather not localizing it to UK. Fifth gear maybe more useful to people in Britain who chose have a sensible auto show rather than an entertaining mad car show.

Personally i love top gear. Its my favorite TV show by miles. But i can understand if people like fifth gear as well. After all its all down to personal preference between pure quality entertainment and factual sensible tv programming.

akash ahmed November 28, 2008 at 5:40 am

fifth gear should pack their fucking bags and leave because they broke lmao

JAy Sean November 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Top Gear is the best, they have James May. That means automatic win.

SEO Alchemist December 14, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I’m a Top Gear fan personally, as much as I admire Tiff and Vicki’s superir driving skills, ultimately Clarkson is far more entertaining, whereas Fith Gear is pretty much like every other car show ever made, including early Top Gears!

Chrissy December 16, 2008 at 10:16 am

The person who said that those who watch Top Gear know nothing about cars is kind of an idiot. Yes, just as the reviewer says, Clarkson gives some very biased reviews . . . but they’re biases I like. I don’t want to see a technical review of a boring economy car because I will never buy one, because I actually like cars. Seriously, every car I’ve ever bought is a rally-bred car because I’m looking for a certain kind of performance in a car. I have my own biases (all gearheads do), and it determines what I will and will not buy. Those biases line up fairly well with Clarkson’s, which makes his reviews more interesting and useful to me, were I ever in the market for a car in their price range (and even though most of them are out of that range, who cares? I will never buy an econo box). That said, while Clarkson’s reviews often showcase his smart remarks, his is actually surprisingly fair. I’ve definitely heard him give good reviews of cars we both wanted to hate, which is actually a very high level of fairness. I would caution people not to take Clarkson’s (as well as Hamster and May’s to a certain extent) willingness to be open about their biases as ruining their impartiality. There’s a fine line between caustic humor and real opinion and I think Top Gear toes it wonderfully.

Fifth Gear’s driving is better, and the show’s cars more practical, and while I enjoy the first, I think the second is not a good idea. That’s not knowing your audience—which is gearheads! We like cars, because they can perform or because we appreciate the beauty of the car. If we want practical, we know where to go. Otherwise, we’re just looking for a performance car which fits certain needs we have—like a large boot and reasonable gas mileage, and Top Gear does those better too I think. Think of all the Hot Hatches they’ve had on. Many of those fit the bill, and isn’t that more useful? So, yeah, I like cars and I know a fair amount about them, but I love Top Gear, both for the hijinks and the cars.

Arsenal News December 17, 2008 at 7:10 am

Personally i think Fifth Gear rocks….

Hammy January 31, 2009 at 11:54 am

Ale cioty… Wszyscy wiedzą że Top Gear jest lepsze od tej żałosnej podróby… (I’m from Poland ;p)

Top Gear rules!
fifth gear sucks!

jas February 2, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Top Gear is the shi-it

j-chrome February 21, 2009 at 11:34 am

@kassman17:
I do agree that TG is more entertaining than 5G. However, I think it is mostly due to budget. Clarkson is very funny and everything but his cheekiness is sometimes too contrived and he is too goddamn biased. When reviewing the corvette zo6 (2004) he couldnt bring himself to say anything good about it. It admittedly has a shitty interior but other than that its damn tasty. He hates american cars. Also – Top Gear’s track is not a true race car track… its a really weird airfield turned into a race car track. 5th Gear has a much better track than TG that is designed for racing…

Also – The amount of knowledge that Tiff Needell has about racing and cars far surpasses even the combined efforts of the flying hampster hammond, clarkson the asshole and that other dolt combined. I think if they had better funding their show would be a lot better… and they could take the supercars which TG gets and really put them through their paces. Tiff might not be as funny, be he tells it like it is.

my two bits. cheers

akash February 21, 2009 at 3:08 pm

clarkson for president!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liam March 1, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Tog Gear by 2 miles. I live in Boston and Top Gear doesn’t just beat 5th Gear but it beats everything.
On an other note I’m just curious why the USA hasn’t stolen Top Gear and made a similiar show. Most of the best British TV shows are stolen and turned into an American version, and usually not nearly as good. If they made a US Top Gear that would be the case too, but to be honest I hope they do because how much longer can Clarkson go on. Plus after all the endless and useless reality TV shows in US now, even a shitty version of Top Gear would be appreciated.

Rob April 16, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Top Gear is without a doubt the best show we get in the US. I hope the BBC does not let any US production company steal the concept. It will be a cheap rip off of a classic.

Aaron May 16, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I watch Top Gear and I think it’s brilliant. Fifth Gear is informative which is big point but everything else is pretty much well a pile of total rubish because it’s very very borin.

MrWhippy May 29, 2009 at 7:41 am

And on that bomshell, Goodnight

Alan June 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I prefer Top Gear over Fifth Gear. I find Top Gear to be by far more entertaining. Also as you mention the presenters on Top Gear have such great chemistry that it makes even the most seemingly boring subjects entertaining. Another thing that I love about Top Gear is the challengers they undertake – ie driving across a salt desert, racing in Vietnam on motorbikes, etc. Overall it’s a great show and I can’t wait for the next season.

Stampie June 17, 2009 at 9:14 am

Top Gear is much better, why is described in the comments above :]

Thilina July 21, 2009 at 9:13 am

I’m Thilina Weerasekara from Sri Lanka. We get to watch BBC Top gear on satellite tv. I find Top Gear very entertaining and smartly made. I’ve only seen Fifth gear on web and on comparison Fifthgear sucks and a real bore. I only know of FG because I searched for car related clips on Youtube. I have a lot of friends here that watch Top gear and who admire the trio ‘Jezza’ ‘Captain Slow’ and ‘Hamster’.. I love Stig and Top Gear dog too.
The main reason for this is most of the countries in thw world (like ours) don’t get to see much super cars. And TG is just what more than 70% of the world needs. If wanted to see more ordinary cars,like shown in fifth gear, I would go near the road instead of watching FifthG.
So, what I need to say here is, Great work gentlemen of Top Gear!!!!!

hasfa August 25, 2009 at 6:52 am

I prefer Top Gear is better than Fifth Gear. More exciting n chalanged program. somehow who knows next time be more comparetative next season.

mike September 1, 2009 at 6:10 am

Top Gear Hands Down!!

wazoo dude September 1, 2009 at 9:53 am

top gear totally owns fitfh gear by miles evrey one in fithgear are drunk wannabees